The 187 Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (subclass 187) work visa gives you permanent residency and lets you work in regional Australia.
To be granted the work visa, you need to be under 45 years of age and have the relevant skills/qualifications for your occupation on the relevant occupation list.
You will also need at least 6 in IELTS in ALL categories.
If you fulfil the above requirements, there are two streams of the 187 work visa that you can apply for. One is the Temporary Resident Transition (TRT) stream, and the other is the Direct Entry (DE) steam.
To apply for the TRT stream of the work visa, you must fulfil ‘(1)’ and one of the two ‘(2)’ conditions below:
(1) previously held either a 457 Visa or the new Temporary Skill Shortage (TSS) 482 visa, AND;
- (2) have worked for your employer full-time for at least 3 out of 4 previous years in the same occupation that you will be working in under the 187 visa if granted, OR;
- (2) IF you had a 457 visa or applied and was eventually granted a 457 visa as of the 18 April, 2017, you have worked for your employer for at least 2 out of the previous 3 years full-time before the date your employer nominates you for your 187 application.
To apply for the direct entry stream of the work visa,
- You do not need to have ever worked in Australia, or you have only worked in Australia briefly.
- HOWEVER, you still need to have been employed in the occupation for at least 3 years on a full-time basis and at the level of skill required for the occupation.
Note how both streams have that all-important 3 year work experience requirement, unless you held a 457 visa or applied for a 457 visa as of the 18th April, 2017. If so, it is 2 of the previous 3 years.
Every 187 work visa that we have applied for has been granted. If you require assistance with your work visa application, please contact Elmtree Migration Lawyers on 1300908588 or firstname.lastname@example.org