Second Chance for 485 TR Visa Holders

Do you hold a 485 graduate (post-study work stream) visa? You may be eligible for a SECOND graduate visa to stay in Australia for another 1-2 years.

Recently the Australian government has added an additional stream for the Temporary Graduate (subclass 485) visa. The Second Post-Study Work stream allows some migrants already on a graduate 485 visa to apply for a second 485 visa that would allow them to stay Australia with work and study rights for an extra 1-2 years.

However, not everyone is eligible for a second 485 visa. To be eligible, applicants must:

  • Currently have their first 485 Temporary Graduate (Post-Study Work Stream) visa
  • Have graduated from an Australian educational institution which is located in a “designated regional area”
  • Have lived/worked/studied in a “designated regional area” for at least 2 years immediately before the time of application for a second 485 visa.

What is a “designated regional area”?

The Department of Home Affairs divides areas of Australia into three categories:

  1. Category 1 (Major Cities) (NOT a Designated Regional Area): Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane
  2. Category 2 (Cities and Major Regional Centres) (Designated Regional Area): Perth, Adelaide, Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast, Canberra, Newcastle/Lake Macquarie, Wollongong/Illawarra, Geelong, Hobart
  3. Category 3 (Regional Centres and Other Regional Areas): remainder of Australia.

ONLY Categories 2 and 3 are “designated regional areas”.

This means that where you choose to study on a student visa, and where you live and work on your graduate visa, can affect your visa options later on.

Elmtree Migration Lawyers has helped many clients successfully obtain their student and graduate visas. If you would like to discuss the new 485 graduate visa stream, or your other options to study or work in Australia, call 1300 908 588 or email admin@elmtreemigration.net.au to speak to an experienced migration lawyer.